Michigan’s Largest FREE Astronomy Event!
September 13 & 14, 2019 6:00 pm-Midnight (Rain or shine)
The Great Lakes Association of Astronomy Clubs (GLAAC) is partnering with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources again this year to bring this event to the Kent Lake area of Island Lake State Recreation Area. Outdoor astronomy activities demand clear skies, but there’s plenty to do in the tent and park building as well. Our theme this year is the “Apollo 11 50th Anniversary!” Come look at the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn through our big telescopes! We’ll also have a discussions and demos in the “Big Tent!”
Take I-96 to exit 151 (Kensington Rd.) in Brighton Township.
Take Kensington Rd. south.
Turn left onto State Pkwy.
Follow the “Astronomy Event” signs to the beach.
What happens at Astronomy at the Beach?
Schedule of Activities:
- After sunset: observe dozens of celestial objects until midnight through the many telescopes provided by the GLAAC members. Highlights: craters on the moon, Jupiter’s Red Spot and moons, Saturn’s rings
- All evening: very cool science demonstrations, member astronomy clubs to talk to, space pictures for sale, food available for purchase.
- Visit our member clubs and sponsors. Participate in hands-on demonstrations, make-and-take activities, find out which club is nearest to you, and learn more about our wonderful sponsors
There is no admission fee to attend but a recreation passport is required for park entry. If you didn’t purchase one when you renewed your vehicle registration, you can get a sticker at the gate. The event takes place at Kent Lake Beach inside Island Lake State Recreation Area. Visitors are encouraged to bring a reusable water bottle. Seating outside may be limited, so consider bringing chairs.
People will be looking through telescopes, and the use of white light of any kind makes this difficult. Please be considerate: use only flashlights with red filters and don’t use a flash when taking photos outside.
Event Program: Astronomy at the Beach – Event Program
PDF Flyer: [Link]
Let us know you’ll be there!
Invite your friends and family!
- Great Lakes Association of Astronomy Clubs
- Michigan Department of Natural Resources Island Lake State Recreation Center
- Major support is provided by: Michigan Science Center
- Contributing support provided by:
- The member clubs and societies of the the Great Lakes Association of Astronomy Clubs